From: Erik Smit (vserver_at_zoiah.net)
Date: Tue 23 Dec 2003 - 11:12:59 GMT

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 11:48:08PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 08:35:36PM -0000, Lu?s Miguel Silva wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I know the do_brk vulnerability is "a thing of the past" but, I just
> > tried out the exploit on one of my vservers just to see what happened.
>
> [exploit attempt censored ;]
>
> > And now for a developer question: is a local kernel root exploit able
> > to break the vserver environment?
>
> depends on the kind of exploit ...
>
> approaches modifying kernel structures could
> be used to 'escape' the context, thus gaining
> host administator powers ...

The recent ptrace()/execve() exploit for x<=2.4.20 dropped the exploiter
into the root vserver even though the exploit was run inside a vserver.
I think thi was because the the modprobe it attached to was running as
CTX-0.

So I wouldn't be surprised if another kernel exploit would also be able
to break out of a vserver. It only protects against userlevel exploits.

Regards,

Erik Smit