From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 18 Dec 2003 - 16:28:09 GMT

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:04:50PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:01:29PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > vserver folks really do not care whether or not the
> > syscall is reserved on their architecture, as long
> > as it's there, and it will be there anyway, I just
> > wanted to be polite and correct, so if you 'think'
> > we split up the switch just for parisc(64) again,
> > then I can assure you, that just won't happen ...
>
> FYI, Christoph does not control syscall allocations on PA-RISC; I do.
> I don't yet have a firm opinion on whether we should allocate this
> syscall. I see both sides of this argument, but personally, I believe
> sys_vserver is a mistake.

thanks for the information, (I almost assumed that,
at least according to 2.6/MAINTAINERS)

maybe you _can_ suggest a _doable_ solution for
vserver, if so please go ahead, I'm listening ...

personally, I believe that the whole syscall number
allocation per architecture is broken by design, a
better solution would be to have only one table for
all architectures, automatically blocking ni_syscalls
with strong typed arguments (bitsize), and a simple
way to either version or enable/disable those syscalls

after spending some thoughts on the 'a multiplexer is
a bad thing' argument, I came to the conclusion that,
if well designed, it's probably better than having a
different syscall with differing arguments on every
architecture, especially if the functionality is
completely agnostic regarding architecture ...