From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 15 Dec 2003 - 14:32:48 GMT

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:49:36PM +1100, Lucian Daniel Kafka wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a couple of issues with vservers - I'm running RH9, with the latest
> patch and utils (the previous versions had the same problems).
>
> 1) Vservers start up and work OK, but when stopped,
> the shutdown process hangs on "Shutting down interface eth0"

besides the services you _want_ to be available on a
vserver, there are some services, you do not want to
be started/scripts you do not want to be executed.

for example the hwclock update at reboot, or the random
reseeding at startup, or the font change, etc ...

you have to edit your runlevel scripts /etc/rc* to
do just the bare minimum (if necessary at all)

> 2) The newserver never worked for me. It first displays some errors briefly
> on the screen which get over-written by the following message:
>
> Server test was installed in /vservers/test
> The configuration file /etc/vservers/test.conf was created
> The script /etc/vservers/test.sh was created
> Vserver test was created in 1 seconds
> Virtual server /vservers/test already exist
> Deleting sshd server keys

> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 191: /vservers/test/etc/mtab: No such file
> ordirectory

hmm, looks like the /etc/mtab of that vserver is
a link into the proc filesystem, could that be?
if so please remove it, and replace it with an
empty file.

> Can't execute passwd (No such file or directory)

is passwd installed in the vserver? if not, please
add it ...

> Any ideas?

HTH,
Herbert