From: Alex Klymov (al3x__at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun 07 Dec 2003 - 22:35:37 GMT

Hello Michael,

Sunday, December 7, 2003, 9:41:14 AM, you wrote:

MP> Hi Alex,

MP> building a vanilla 2.4.23 with just the first patch applied,
MP> I get the following error during make bzImage:

MP> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/secio-kernel/linux-2.4.23-vs1.2-grs/include -Wall
MP> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
MP> -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc
MP> -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=buffer -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c buffer.c
MP> buffer.c: In function `kupdate':
MP> buffer.c:3102: parse error before `wait'
MP> buffer.c:3104: `wait' undeclared (first use in this function)
MP> buffer.c:3104: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
MP> buffer.c:3104: for each function it appears in.)

MP> Can you help?
MP> Thanks
MP> Michael

I just redid the "whole sheband" (patch/config/compile/run) 2 times - nothing
complains about fs/buffer.c. (I'm using mandrake 9.1 as the base).
The number of things that can and might interfere at compilation stage is too
big to go deep into details (however running make menuconfig; make dep;make
clean sometimes does the miracles).
 The immediate remedy that should work for this version of patch (if you are
not planning to use software suspend) would be add #ifdefs:
buffer.c 3102:

for (::) {
+#ifdef CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND
DECLARE_SWSUSP_LOCAL_VAR;
+#endif

I'm planning to redo the whole patch set to make them more friendly to each
other;) - for example adding appropriate empty strings into #include sections of
files reduced "manual adjustment" to vserver-1.20 from 15 files to 5 (and may be
write some small "Be friendly to each other" kernel patchers article) but that will take time.

--
 Alex                            mailto:al3x__at_gmx.net
5:23:09 PM Sunday, December 7, 2003 EDT