From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 02 Dec 2003 - 22:53:02 GMT

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:47:17PM +0100, Bert De Vuyst wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2003 18:27, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:10:52PM +0100, Bert De Vuyst wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Do we still have to bind SSH on the host server to it's IP-address, in
> > > linux-vserver 1.0? (we had to do it in previous version)
> >
> > hmm, what is the previous version of the _first_
> > stable vserver release vs-1.00? okay, probably
> > ctx17 or something like that ...
> yes
>
> > you don't have to 'bind' it to an address ...
> > but it will help (especially if you want to have
> > sshd on the vservers too) ...
>
> Running ctx17 I had to bind ssh to the IP-address of the host server,
> otherwise I couldn't login on the vservers using ssh (same story for SMTP and
> ftp)
> During the installation of a new server running linux-vserver 1.0, I forgot to
> change the configuration of SSH. And I could login on the vservers running on
> that machine using SSH. I did test SMTP and ftp connections, and it did work.
> This machine is now in production use.
> All the daemons use the standard init scripts

you should make use of the v_sshd, v_sendmail, v_*
scripts which use a script called vsysvwrapper and
a configuration in /etc/vservices/sshd.conf which
looks like this:

IP="eth0 eth1"

(just an example) and restricts the services (sshd)
to those IPs/interfaces/aliases ...

this way the 'other' addresses stay available for
the vservers and you won't have any collisions or
issues with sshd on the host and on the vservers ...

HTH,
Herbert