From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 02 Dec 2003 - 22:47:41 GMT

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 12:04:27PM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> > > gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
> >
> > sounds like the wrong number of options/arguments to
> > gcc (are you sure it's the 'right' version for this?)
>
> This is a strange one for sure.
>
> > > but the compile works fine from the base/main server.
> >
> > probably something which is 'tested' by the configure
> > script and not 'provided' by the vserver like
> > /dev/random or similar ...
>
> I'll look into this next. Why wouldn't/shouldn't a vserver
> provide /dev/random and friends?

well, actually /dev/random was the worst example I could
possibly find (as this is one of the devices provided for
vservers in any case ;) but usually a vservers /dev is
limited to the following:

full hdv1 null ptmx pts/ random tty urandom zero

which is sufficient to operate (in almost all cases)
but secure for the host and other vservers ...

> I use random numbers quite often (mostly perl)
> but can't think of an application in a verserver
> right now that does.

sorry again for that bad example ...

> > > I need to confirm what packages are installed where but
> > > I seem to remember the vserver was built from a vserver
> > > (conserve space) that was based on the main server.
> > > (Did that make sense?)
>
> All the packages were the same version with the exception of
> glibc which I updated in the vserver and vserver RPMs were
> missing (which they should be.)

hmm, glibc has a _lot_ of other small libraries built
around it, maybe there is a 'version mismatch' or some
old library somewhere ...