From: Alex Lyashkov (shadow_at_psoft.net)
Date: Mon 01 Dec 2003 - 15:22:42 GMT

On Monday 01 December 2003 16:41, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 09:15:33AM -0500, mile1_at_bellsouth.net wrote:
> > Hello Herbert,
> >
> > I have a question to ask? what is the difference between
> > the current vserver, and Freevps?
>
> well, FreeVPS is a late branch of vserver which was done
> by Alexey Lyashkov who adapted the vserver patches to the
> redhat kernel (around 2.4.18) ...
>
> this branch has some (experimental) features not yet in
> vserver (at least not in stable) like the virtualized
> network and routing tables, or some resource limits ...

also with virtual root and privated disknamespace which allowed use mount
inside vps. It`s do not need hack for dir with permisions 000 as quarantine
zone.
some speed optimizations as full devided sockets lists and devided netlink
part.
rpm with it was uploaded to web.

next stages of development
1) add baundwith control to virtual devices (or 2 level packets scheduler)
2) add full divided routing tables and implement 2 level routing
3) rework memory limits for do account based on page allocations, not on
account VM.
4) add context taging for skb structure
5) add permits for use set_rlimits inside vps without security compromise.
6) divide process accounting per vps

--
With best regards,
Alex