From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 20 Nov 2003 - 13:34:20 GMT

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 02:28:20PM +0100, Georges Toth wrote:
> > I think, for now, it would be sufficient, to provide
> > and url, where I can download the patches, gentoo
> > uses ontop of the vanilla kernel ...
>
> i'm a "gentoo person" :-)
> first of all, great work chip !!!
> i'm using gentoo on all of my servers as well as vservers... :-)
>
> herbert, there is no "gentoo" kernel like there is a i.e. RH-kernel,
> there are many kernels you can choose of.
> here's the list of currently available kernels under gentoo:

hmm, and what is in the gentoo-sources?

> <list>
> aa-sources hppa-headers ppc-headers
> ac-sources hppa-sources ppc-sources
> alpha-sources hppa-sources-dev ppc-sources-benh
> arm-headers ia64-sources ppc-sources-crypto
> arm-sources ksymoops ppc-sources-dev
> ck-sources linux-headers redhat-sources
> compaq-sources mips-headers rsbac-sources
> development-sources mips-prepatch-sources selinux-sources
> gaming-sources mips-sources sparc-sources
> genkernel mjc-sources timestamp.x
> gentoo-dev-sources mm-sources usermode-sources
> gentoo-sources mosix-sources vanilla-prepatch-sources
> gentoo-test-sources openmosix-sources vanilla-sources
> grsec-sources pfeifer-sources win4lin-sources
> gs-sources planet-ccrma-sources wolk-sources
> hardened-sources ppc-development-sources xfs-sources
> </list>
>
> if i understood that correctly, chip wants to make a vanilla+vserver ebuild
> ("package")...?
> so there are no "strange" patches already applied by gentoo which cause
> conflicts or such...

okay, so if I understand that right, it would make sense
to have two? vserver-sources kernels, one stable and the
other 'experimental' which actually is devel+ all the
other nice stuff like quota, disk-limits, memory-limits
O(1) scheduler and rmap15k ... right?