From: Geoffrey D. Bennett (g_at_netcraft.com.au)
Date: Tue 18 Nov 2003 - 18:18:25 GMT

Hi there,

Just wanted to report some success running Fedora Core 1 in a vserver
(Red Hat 7.3 base) as well as share a problem I had and a script I
wrote to make future FC1 vserver installs trivial (for me, at least).

First the problem: the glibc that comes with FC1 didn't like running
some programs (like RPM :( ) -- it failed with "cannot enable
executable stack as shared object requires". I fixed the problem by
rebuilding the glibc RPM with the glibc-execstack-disable patch (comes
with the glibc RPM).

The script to install an FC1 vserver essentially does:
- init rpm database
- install enough rpms to get yum running
- get yum to install everything else
- other minor setup tasks (disable services, set up resolv.conf, etc.)

I haven't tested the resulting installed-vserver too much, but the few
things I tried worked fine, and anything missing can easily be
installed with yum.

See http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/vserver/ for the script and
more discussion. Comments are welcome!

Have fun,

--
Geoffrey D. Bennett, RHCE, RHCX               geoffrey_at_netcraft.com.au
Senior Systems Engineer           http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/