From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 18 Nov 2003 - 14:52:18 GMT

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:39:42PM +0100, voder_at_debesciak.net wrote:

> Hello..
> I have problem with courier-pop. When I try start courier-pop
> i get this information:
> /etc/init.d/courier-pop start
> Starting Courier POP3 server:bind: Address already in use

sounds like it is trying to bind an address/port
which isn't available because either it is already used
or forbidden to attach to ...

> ll_daemon_start: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> but:
>
> telnet localhost 110
> Trying 127.0.0.1...

hmm, well, if this is _inside_ a vserver, you should
not bind/connect to the local loopback ...

> # netstat -a -n
> #
>
> #lsof -i TCP:110
> #
>

> I try bind courier-pop to my public IP address in config file
> but I get the same error. (variable ADDRESS in /etc/courier/pop3d).
>
> When I install cucipop they work properly and bind to 110 normally.
>
> Any suggestions ?

use strace (version 4.5 and higher) to analyze the
actions you program takes, and which ports/addresses it
tries to bind to ... make this available via web, and
I'll have a look at it ...

> I don`t know which vserver version is used, I have access only
> to vserver / .
>
> Kernel - 2.4.21ctx-17

well, that is a vserver version, an older one, but
it should work for your purpose ...

> P.s Sorry for my English ;P

well, we are able to understand you, nothing to be
sorry about ...

HTH,
Herbert