From: Lyn St George (lyn_at_zolotek.net)
Date: Mon 10 Nov 2003 - 15:42:59 GMT

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:57:48 +0800, Petar wrote:

>I wimped out and installed a basic RH9 install on the box to check
>the native HT support which works well. The box has 2.4.20-8
>kernel and boots the SMP variant by default.
>
>Is there a kernel patch for this stock version that I could use or
>must I use a later version? If so, where does it live?

Personally, I would rather just get a new kernel from kernel.org, thus
guaranteeing the RH haven't screwed around with it. Get the patch
from linux-vserver.org

>Anyone aware of a readme that will take me through the kernel
>patching process (many years of Windows machine but only months
>of linux time so still learning)?

Unpack the new kernel into /usr/src , put the patch into linux-2.x.xx and
cd into it. Run 'patch -p0 < patch_name'. Run 'make menuconfig' which
will start a 'configurator' and answer the questions. Pay particular
attention to: processor type, filesystem type, nic type. Then run
'make dep; make bzImage (which compresses the new kernel and
names it bzImage); make modules; make modules_install;' Find the
new kernel in arch/i386/boot, copy it to /boot and name it something
to your taste (eg, kernel-2.4.22-vs1.00), add this to /etc/lilo.conf and run
'lilo'. Install the toolset *before* rebooting the machine with the new
kernel - eg, vserver-0.26.src.tar.gz, or the util-vserver one.

Double check everything, including the installation of the toolset, then
run 'shutdown -r now' to reboot.

I've just done this and kernel-2.4.22 plus the vserver-0.26 toolset
is working like a charm here.

>I had a look on linux-vserver.org but either I'm blind (probably)
>or the info is buried deep and out of sight.
>
>I have the intel e1000 nic drivers installed so at least the box
>can talk to the world.
>
>If I can get this working I will ask questions about how to put my
>workflow process to operating up on a page somewhere for other
>novices to follow. I have the advantage of really doing most of
>this for the first time which can make for lots of detail for others :-)
>
>..Petar

-
Cheers
Lyn St George