From: Matthew Nuzum (matt_at_followers.net)
Date: Sun 09 Nov 2003 - 20:12:13 GMT

We have been working on an OpenMosix cluster in the computer club at the school where I'm taking classes now. I've found that the server applications that I typically use do not benefit from openmosix. The applications commonly fall into either of two categories:

a) I/O bound applications that only slow down when migrated to a different node on the cluster, or
b) Applications that are incompatible with Mosix for various reasons (threaded, shmem, device dependent etc.) such as Database software, Apache and other server processes.

I think the audience of people who can legitimately benefit from a combined vserver/mosix installation is rather small.

For those that have heavily loaded servers, why not just put fewer vservers on a server? If 6 is too many, just do 4 or 5. If you have extra boxes with spare cpu cycles, put the vserver there.

Honestly, if your mailserver setup is too slow, I'm certain you can get better performance by switching from IDE disks to SCSI. In my recent tests, I/O tasks on IDE drives kept the CPU at about 53% utilization. Same tests on SCSI disks used only 14% utilization with the I/O processes taking significantly less time to complete on the SCSI. That was a system with a single IDE drive compared to the same system with a single SCSI drive.

This is common knowledge among hardware people as the IDE subsystem uses system resources for the bulk of I/O where SCSI cards were designed to handle the I/O work much the same way a video card handles graphics work.

Matthew Nuzum | ISPs: Make $200 - $5,000 per referral by
www.followers.net | recommending Elite CMS to your customers!
matt_at_followers.net | http://www.followers.net/isp