From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 09 Nov 2003 - 16:37:56 GMT

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:48:08AM -0000, Luís Miguel Silva wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just thought of something!
> How about the vserver project "united" with the openmosix project?
> It would be great to be able to have multiple vservers enjoying
> the cheerfull'blesses of multi'processing.

let me address this separated ...

> One of my servers is a X86 2.6ghz with 512Mb ram running about 6
> vservers and it is *totally* lagged.

either your 6 servers do really hard work, which will
bring down every system sooner or later, or your kernel
and/or configuration is not optimal. Another reason
could be a slow I/O (disk) and/or memory interface,
which usual is the bottleneck nowadays ...

what you could do/try:

 - get a recent kernel and patch rmap and maybe O(1)
 - use faster memory/disks (maybe striping, raid5)
 - add a second processor, SMP systems are much more
   resposive (smooth) with vservers

> It would be great if we could balance the load thru other machines
> (like we do with openmosix).

I agree that this sounds interesting and it might be
a viable solution to scale the vserver project beyond
the physical limits of one MP machine ...

I do not have any deeper knowledge of OpenMosix and
no Farm where such a project could be tested/developed
so if there is interest in doing this, we'll need both.