From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Sat 08 Nov 2003 - 17:28:00 GMT

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 14:57, Petar wrote;

> Being a bit of a novice I thought I would ask before blundering in
> on a new server build to test this Vserver stuff.
> Is a pre-built RH 8.0 rpm kernel available that will also support
> the Pentium 4 Hyperthreading technology or must I download and
> build from source? Any tricks I might need to know as far as
> config parameters to get his working in this config? Does this
> fall under the SMP specs in the kernel or is HT support built into
> the standard kernel?

You need to enable ACPI for the HyperThreading to be enabled,
apparently. Config option CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY, under general setup.

If you have any problems with the standard kernel, you might have more
luck with the Alan Cox kernel, as it is what Red Hat have based their
kernel on in the past, and is generally better for hardware support on
high end hardware. Note: there is a question mark over the future of
the -ac kernels is uncertain as apparently Alan is retraining.

The -ac patch is at:
  /pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.4/patch-2.4.22-ac4.bz2

on your local ftp.kernel.org mirror.

Vserver patch for that kernel is at:
  http://www.vilain.net/linux/ctx/split-2.4.22-ac4-c17g2/

You will need util-vserver 0.24 rather than Jacque's vserver to
support this kernel, as it is based on an pre-1.1.0 version of the
kernel patch.

--
Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof. ASHLEY MONTAGUE