From: Darryl Ross (darryl_at_e-consortium.com.au)
Date: Fri 07 Nov 2003 - 06:41:42 GMT

Hi All,

We use rsync to copy vservers around the place (eg to move onto a
different box for scheduled downtime of the host). We actually rsync the
vserver 3 times.

We rsync once (excluding the /proc) to get most of the file system. We
then rsync again (again excluding /proc) which should take a lot less
time than the first one as it only does the changes. We then stop the
vserver and rsync it a third time which means that the filesystem is in
a consistant state before starting it on the destination machine.

The point of the second rsync is that depending on the size of the
vserver it can take quite a while (for a read/write system with 1000s of
users) to do the first rsync. The second rsync just helps minimise the
time delay between stopping the server on the old host and starting it
on the new host due to the third rsync.

The rsync command I use is basically:

# rsync -av --progress --partial --delete --sparse --exclude */proc/*
${oldlocation} ${newlocation}

Regards
Darryl