From: Mike Savage (mike.savage_at_datastream.net)
Date: Tue 14 Oct 2003 - 16:41:52 BST

Hello all,
I hope everyone has been doing well. I have a question concerning vserver
ctx-17c.

I have implemented vservers (2.4.20-ctx17) with multiple IP addresses
located on separate physical networks and several of our admins have
reported that traffic is not always moving out across the appropriate
adapters. From various posts to the vserver mailing list, I saw that
ctx-17a through ctx-17c fixed various networking "anomalies" :-)

Because of driver issues, I need to stay at kernel 2.4.20, however I have
seen that ctx-17c is only available for 2.4.21 and 2.4.22. Here is what I
did:

I took a virgin 2.4.21 tarball and exploded it into two separate trees. One
tree was patched with ctx-17, while the other was patched with ctx-17c. I
then create a patch from the diff of these two trees. Then on a 2.4.20 tree
that had been patched with ctx-17, I applied my new ctx-17 to ctx-17c diff.
I saw two hunks fail...one I was able to correct by hand (socket.c IIRC),
the other I was unable to fix...it was a hunk in udp.c (IIRC) that had to do
with ipv6, so I went on and ignored it because I do not use ipv6. My kernel
compiled correctly, I upgraded to vserver-23 tools and upon rebooting, my
system is up and running with 4 vservers.

My question is this: Is what I did OK? Are the fixes that went into moving
from ctx-17c specific to major changes to the kernel while moving from
2.4.20 to 2.4.21 and 2.4.22? Or are the ctx-17 to ctx-17c changes
applicable to 2.4.20 as well?

Thank you.

Mike

Generated on Tue 14 Oct 2003 - 17:00:23 BST by hypermail 2.1.3