From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 29 Aug 2003 - 02:21:32 BST

Hi Rod!

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:45:42PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Herbert Pötzl wrote:
>
> > all three formats should be available from now on,
> > it's a config option, so you simply decide which to
> > use ... if you like UID24/GID24 go for it!
>
> This looks like an intriguing concept.

it is ;)

> Is UID24/GID24 a main line kernel feature/option?
> A google search didn't turn anything of significance up.

hmm, the mainline (read marcelo or andrew/linus) tree
doesn't need to store context information for inodes.

since 2.4.x and for 2.5/2.6 the uid/gid values are
32 bit each, so UID32/GID32 are default (no reason
to limit them to 24bits).

vservers and contexts require to'tag' files with
context ids/tags ... and this can be done by either
using some of the uid/gid bits or otherwise unused
space in the on-disk inode structures ...

UID24/GID24 uses 8 bit of each ID to store a total
of 16bits for context information, thats it ...

> Any pointers (besides to the kernel source :-) to where I can read up
> on this.

nope, guess my postings and explanations have to
do the job for now ...

> How do you keep it all in your head. My brain keeps filling up.

hmm, hard to tell ... maybe I forgot how 8-)