From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Tue 19 Aug 2003 - 22:35:03 BST

As a user of vservers I do not get into the code and barely follow some of
the threads I find it difficult to mention when I have kernel crashes as I
can not _really_ explain what was going on when they happened.

I have turned on kernel logging into /var/log/kernel but do not know what
else I need to or should do to to get better information for when I do
have a crash. Case in point this morning or rather last night. Suddenly
the system froze up. Would not respond to the keyboard and I had to press
the reset/power switch to get it to come back up. The last messages in
/var/log/messages before the hang/crash were of the form

   kernel: smb_retry: successful ...

then the reboot messages. Nothing identifiable as a cause.

I'm running 2.4.21ctx-17a because I thought the problem was with the
eepro100 NIC driver and a thread on this list indicated the e100/e1000
would be a better choice. Hardware seems solid and the crashes are _too_
random for my liking to make me think it is a hardware issue. I did run
memtest86 on the system before I put it online.

Where I am trying to take this is; what information is needed to help
determine the cause of the crashes so I (we) can point a finger in the
right direction - hardware, software, wetware, or the ctx kernel and
friends. Not to point fingers as much as to lend a hand to the
developers.

Cheers,
Rod