From: Herbert Pötzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 15 Aug 2003 - 14:30:14 BST

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:29:37PM +0200, Oliver Dzombic wrote:
> hi,
>
> when i typ to use dump in a vserver context i get:
>
> vs1:/# dump -f deb30pure /
> DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Fri Aug 15 19:21:54 2003
> DUMP: Dumping / (an unlisted file system) to deb30pure
> /: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while
> opening filesystem
> DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

sounds reasonable to me, does /dev/hdv1 (which is
listed as rootfs actually exist? I guess not, and as
dump is a low level block device tool, it will require
low level block access to the filesystem you want to
dump ...

I would suggest doing dumps only on the physical server
or from a special virtual server with access to all
block devices (which is possible, but not trivial to
set up) ...

allowing block access to a virtual server is not a
good thing to do ...

HTH,
Herbert

> vs1:/# dump -f deb30pure /usr
> DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Fri Aug 15 19:22:59 2003
> DUMP: Dumping /usr (an unlisted file system) to deb30pure
> /usr: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while
> opening filesystem
> DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
>

> vs1:/# dump -f deb30pure /dev/hdv1
> DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Fri Aug 15 19:23:31 2003
> DUMP: Dumping /dev/hdv1 (an unlisted file system) to deb30pure
> /dev/hdv1: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
> while opening filesystem
> DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
>

> vs1:/# mount
> /dev/hdv1 on / type ext3 (grpquota,usrquota)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
>
> vs1:/# cat /proc/mounts
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> /dev/vserver/vs1 / ext3 rw 0 0
> none /proc proc rw 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
>

> Any solutions ?
>

> Greetings
> Oliver

Generated on Fri 15 Aug 2003 - 14:53:13 BST by hypermail 2.1.3