From: Geoffrey D. Bennett (g_at_netcraft.com.au)
Date: Sun 03 Aug 2003 - 06:53:08 BST

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:16:10PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Geoffrey D. Bennett wrote:
>
> > I've got 7x RH7.3, 1x RH8.0, and 4x RH9 running on a RH7.3 base
> > without any issues. I don't use newvserver though.
>
> Sounds good. OK, I'll bite ... what do you use? I've seen lots messages
> on this topic and generated a few myself but haven't really come up with
> any options and mostly use newvserver using a reference vserver I've
> created from the CD of the distribution I build the root server on.

I've got a script that I wrote which reads a file that looks something
like a kickstart file, and it builds the vserver based on that:

> install
> lang en_US
> langsupport --default en_AU en_US
> keyboard us
> network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip xxx --nameserver xxx --hostname xxx
> rootpw xxx
> firewall --disabled
> authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
> timezone Australia/Adelaide
> bootloader
>
> %packages
> @ Network Support
> @ Software Development
>
> %post

It's not really in a fit state for release though. The current major
problems are:

- The config file above gives you the impression that it supports all
  those options :-)

- It needs an old-style comps file (eg. comps from RH7.3, not
  comps.xml from RH8.0/9), so I've got a hacked-up comps file for RH9

- When run on RH9, it runs into the (seeming) bug with RPM that
  someone else here pointed out recently where RPM doesn't install
  packages in the order that the dependencies say they should be
  installed

--
Geoffrey D. Bennett, RHCE, RHCX               geoffrey_at_netcraft.com.au
Senior Systems Engineer           http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/