From: Benoit St-André (ben_at_benoitst-andre.net)
Date: Fri 01 Aug 2003 - 15:54:44 BST

Yes, this is it...

In our case, vservers get their hits directly from the outside by
ProxyPass directive from the publicly available web server.

Schools can publish by FTP using a similar ProxyPass directive in
ProFtpd, I'm not shure but sshd probly has that kind of feature (people
enter theirusername_at_vservername for username, that tells the ftpdaemon
where to go).

Only one whole in the firewall needed, no redirection or NAT, all passes
by the same IP...

For ProxyPass, a very simple tutorial:
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/March2000/article147.shtml

--
Benoit St-André <ben_at_benoitst-andre.net>

Le jeu 31/07/2003 ŕ 18:12, Fernando Serto a écrit : > I don't know if understood you... > > you have many vservers with private ips and only ONE public ip (probably on > the root server)? how can you have this vservers accessed from outside? or > those hits are comming only from your private network? > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Benoit St-André" <ben_at_benoitst-andre.net> > To: <vserver_at_solucorp.qc.ca> > Cc: <baobabs_at_sveiks.lv> > Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 3:06 AM > Subject: Re: [vserver] Advice needed > > Hi > > Being a non-expert, I can tell you what we did in our scolar counsil for > our schools > > We currently have one machine which is a PIII800 with 35 vservers on it. > They all have private IP, one has a public IP and does proxy-pass for > the others which releaves us the need for that much public ip's... > > We have one of those vservers which does https (proxy pass for the > others), and the other one are all for school web hosting, each school > can have its own world for its web site with php/mysql and more. > > This machine gets about 1 500 000 hits a week, and 22 of the 35 vservers > are in fact really used (the others are on but are not visited yet). The > machine is running good, no performance problem.

Generated on Fri 01 Aug 2003 - 16:09:20 BST by hypermail 2.1.3