From: Herbert Pötzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 31 Jul 2003 - 11:20:26 BST

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:23:09PM +0300, Girts wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to get some advice for using VServer for web hosting
> purposes. Currently we are running many (50+) virtual sites on one host.
> We run Apache on Debian and the services provided are CGI, PHP4, MySQL.
> Everything works well but from time to time there are some problems with
> somebody who gets too much traffic or writes a very inefficient scripts.
> That brings the server to crawl.
>
> Therefore we are looking for some way to make sure the server usage is
> fairly distributed between the users and nobody can take up all the
> resources. This is how I found VServer. I would like to ask some
> questions that I didn't find the answer for:
>
> 1) How many virtual servers can we run on one box (let's say dual
> PIII-800, 1.5 GB)? Each vserver would run apache+php, proftpd, sshd, mysqld.

I would say, between 20 and 60 servers on a modern
2.4 kernel should be no problem (in your config),
though YMMV.

> 2) Is the "fair" scheduler implemented? The FAQ seems to say so.

depends on the version/patches you use ...

> 3) What are other things we should consider?

firewalling, routing, shared partitions, quota,
backup, failover, ...

> 4) Is VServer suited for this kind of thing?

I guess yes, at least I'm running several systems
in a setup like this ... without any issues ...

> Are there any alternatives?

of course, you can spend a lot of money on comercial
products, just google a little ...

> I kind of don't like the idea of 50 ip addreses on one host, but if it

you can distribute it over many servers/vservers/hosts
or use only one for all ...

> is the only way to go, then - why not.

HTH,
Herbert

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Girts

Generated on Thu 31 Jul 2003 - 11:46:12 BST by hypermail 2.1.3