From: Herbert Pötzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 25 Jul 2003 - 13:16:22 BST

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:42:47PM +0200, Georges Toth wrote:
> > so, if its okay with you, I'll send you the patches
> > and some basic 'regression' tests I do ... sometimes ;)
>
> that's ok for me :-)
> just tell me what to do and i'll do it :-D
> (what kernel, which patches, what tools, ...)

okay here you go ...

attached two patches (one labeled -mq the other -bq)

what I would like you to do is the following:

 - test -mq extensively as it introduces a new
   way the quota hash is handled ...
   I'm especially interrested in

   + race conditions on UP and SMP
   + any BUG() traces of course
   + unusual behaviour ;)

 - think about some brilliant tests, which actually
   verify that quota works as expected ...
   basically what to check:

   + quota change on create/unlink
   + quota transfer on chown/chgrp
   + special link/symlink/mkdev handling
   + quota enforcement (soft + hard)
   + ...

 - usually a good thing (TM) would be to start with
   some 'defined' environment, do some heavy automated
   testing and build a md5hash on the quota report.
 - this should be compared with the unpatched kernel
   (same release though) and _any_ differences should
   be reported ...
 - later the proven test scripts should be used on
   the -mq -bq combo, to spot any differences there

I would suggest 2.4.22-pre8, both patches should
apply without fuzz or reject ... -bq goes ontop -mq

I consider using quotatools 3.09 a good idea, although
3.08 should suffice, v0 and v2 quota formats should
be tested ...

if you have any questions *grin*, feel free to ask!

TIA,