From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Thu 10 Jul 2003 - 02:12:31 BST

Hi all,

Linus has been threatening [1] recently to begin the 2.6.0-pre series.

With this in mind, I think that it is critical that the vserver
community makes an effort to try and get vserver adopted in this
release.

Everyone can help - even the lazy or benevolant; what I'm thinking is
that a well presented petition from users sent to the Linux Kernel
Mailing List will assist in rallying support for the notion.
Statistics from how active the project web site has been, and how many
downloads of the software there were in the last X months would also
be good (Jacques?).

The other thing, of course, is porting the patches to the current 2.5
series. It would help if each piece of the patch could be seperated
logically (Alex, Herbert, I know one of you has already done some work
on this). We should have a serious look at merging Alex's & Jacques'
trees, along with deciding on the best way to handle some of the
fundamental changes that Herbert's patches introduced.

Then, we can look at porting each piece to the 2.5.* tree, and
including proper documentation and Configure options where relevant.

I don't know if you've come across this before, but if you supply the
-D DEFINENAME option to `patch', it will insert C-like #ifdef
DEFINENAME statements around each change to the source code. This can
assist in creating kernel Configure options for the code.

I'm happy to co-ordinate the patching effort if no-one else can be
bothered, but I do not have the time available to do all the merging
by myself and debug it thoroughly. I know that at least the scheduler
will require my personal involvement :-). If someone already running
a vserver page wishes to set up the petition, that would be good too -
otherwise I could set one up.

1. http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20030616_219.html#9

--
Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net

If youve seen one redwood, youve seen them all. RONALD REAGAN