From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 07 Jul 2003 - 01:01:08 BST

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 04:27:05PM -0700, gdecourt_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie in VPS solutions (as you may have
> seen...), and while I was thinking about how a VPS can
> be used in my business, one question came to me: what
> is the difference between use Vserver and other
> solutions for VPS, like the ones provided by Ensim,
> Sphera and Virtuozzo?
> Obviously we have the money question...but please, I
> invite everybody to send me an opinion about the pros
> and cons in adopt some of this solutions...(for
> example, say If is interesting pay for a VPS solution
> based in some argument...or don't...)
> Thanks for your attention, and I am waiting your
> help. =)

for those interested, to save some time:

---------

http://www.ensim.com/products/privateservers/index.html
http://www.ensim.com/products/privateservers/details.html
http://www.ensim.com/products/materials/datasheet_vps_051003.pdf

(seems RedHat based, does everything, but no pricing info)

---------

http://www.sphera.com/prod_hostingdirector.php#sd

what they call VDS(tm) (Virtual Dedicated Server), I would
call apache, postfix and proftp setup ...
any 'resource' management is done by software or quota.

(seems to work on any distro with a recent 2.4 kernel)

---------

http://www.sw-soft.com/products/virtuozzo/
http://www.sw.com.sg/en/products/virtuozzo/faq/

this seems somewhat more complete than the vserver project
(venet device, resource limits, ...) but I haven't seen
it actually work ...

(supports plesk and confixx ... whatever those are)

---------

YMMV,

Generated on Mon 07 Jul 2003 - 01:19:27 BST by hypermail 2.1.3