From: Fernando Serto (fernando_at_serto.com.br)
Date: Fri 04 Jul 2003 - 04:11:49 BST

> > if I use the "ping -I 192.168.10.111 192.168.10.142" from the vserver, I
can
> > ping my desktop, but, without the -I (still from the vserver) I can't.
>
> ahh, now you are talking facts ...

These were the facts for me, since the beginning... As I needed this box to
be running today, I pulled out the harddisk and installed slackware 9 from
scratch, patched the kernel, compiled, configured lvm, run "vserver cartman
build", changed cartman.conf file, changed /usr/sbin/vserver (to start with
rc.M and stop with rc.0), and ZAZ! I have it running, with no dramas! I can
ping everything, inside and outside... you know... everyone says that linux
distro is like religion, but... as I'm "talking facts", redhat sux! It's
almost a windows! things happen and no one can explain why... maybe these
pre-built stuffs are the real problem. I just needed one reason to change
all the redhat servers from the company to a decent linux distro (I really
consider slackware a decent one), and I got it! it doesn't even run a
software which is designed for it... :o)

> please provide the first five lines of ping 192.168.10.142
> on both machines (within the vserver) as well as the
> output of ping -V

I'll plug that redhat hd on another box at the end of the day, just to try
to fix that problem... maybe there are other users waiting for this solution
(and I think there are!).

> best,

Thanks for all your help herbert!

cheers,
Fernando

> Herbert
>
> > > hth,
> > > Herbert

Generated on Fri 04 Jul 2003 - 04:32:50 BST by hypermail 2.1.3