From: ComplexMind (ComplexMind_at_funk.mailforme.co.uk)
Date: Sat 28 Jun 2003 - 14:07:58 BST

Hello,

I’ve been following VServer for quite some time now and have a few machines running VServers. I currently use only RedHat 7.3 as a base system and for VServers but I’m growing increasingly nervous about where and when RedHat’s continued support for the little-people-who-can’t-afford-enterprise-licenses-but-don’t-need-the-hand-holding-support will end.

I don’t particularly have a problem with what RedHat are doing as they are free to do so within the terms of the GPL. Instead

At the same time I have been forced (as a result of an unusual requirement by a client) to recompile Apache using the stock distro which soon ended up mushrooming to a recompile of PHP, OpenSSL, etc etc…

It struck me that now I am hitting on these issues I might as well kill two birds with one stone and start looking for a more suitable distribution to use. OK, so there are many good distributions out there and it is very difficult to decide where to go next so I thought I’d put it to the list to see what people’s experiences have been.

Should I be looking at what seems like the ultimate, most flexible distro (Gentoo) or should I be looking towards a more time-served distribution like Debian?

I understand this is a very subjective issue and I’m not trying to start a distro-war or anything, I’d just like to try and find out what people’s experiences have been with the various distros where creating/managing vservers is concerned.

I’m particularly interested how well other distros handle software updates – I’m used to most of the work being done for me through auto-rpm and really appreciate this type of functionality to keep my workload down.

Any and all comments appreciated. And keep up the good work!

Regards,

Mark.

Ex-freeVSD, Ex-proVSD, Ex-communicated, Ex-traordinary!

---