From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Thu 12 Jun 2003 - 00:55:55 BST

And deleting vservers.

Just because my last two posts caused so much 'interest' I'll get another
going. :-)

In another fix of insanity I created a new vserver by cloning a _running_
vserver and unifying disk space. Big mistake it appears. Now I can't
remove the whole vserver directory because the /dev/pts directory contains
two files I can't rm (and I didn't even go to the other directory - I
think it's /proc to see what the problem was there.)
   Since I've made similar mistakes in the past I found I could go from
the ctx kernel to the 'other' kernel and then remove those directories.
Question 1 is - is there a way to remove those 'sticky' files while the
ctx kernel is running?
   Question 2 is - is there another method to copy a vserver besides using
the normal vserver utilities? I saw a few posts on doing this when moving
to another system using rsync and a method using tar. Was there a
consensus on how to do this.

On another note, one of the threads I _started_ transformed to one on a
vserver book/how-to. I'm going to start collecting tricks and information
and after cleaning up their layout resubmit them to the list for review.
Then I'll move them to a site (mine or someone else's.) These can become
the basis for 'the book'.
   I'd like to start this process, based on the other threads, by asking
what people are doing with vservers and what hardware they are running
them on.
   Are you running productions systems - specialized or general, testing
software, or experimenting? CPU, main board (consumer/server grade), RAM,
drive interface (SCSI, IDE, iSCSI, etc.), case/cabinet, location (co-lo,
desk-side, basement :-) and anything else you find interesting and/or
unique about your system(s). Oh yeah, which distribution(s) are you using
for your main server and vservers?

Rod