From: John P. Eisenmenger (jpe_at_eisenmenger.org)
Date: Thu 01 May 2003 - 22:23:58 BST

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Lyn St George wrote:

> To reply to my own message: the problem now is that, while
> a new vserver will start, it does not differentiate properly
> between root and ordinary users. Eg, 'su some_user' while
> root results in a request for a password.

This is how my non-vserver Redhat 7.3 system works as well. I believe it
is probably a PAM configuration issue. I believe it is not a vserver
issue.

I believe adding the line:

        auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_rootok.so

to /etc/pam.d/su prior to whichever "auth" line is causing the password
prompt should prevent root from being prompted for a password. The
/etc/pam.d/su file on my Gentoo system has this as its first
active line.

-John

--
John P. Eisenmenger