From: edward_at_DigitalAngel.com.au
Date: Fri 25 Apr 2003 - 06:06:07 BST

On 23 Apr 2003, at 14:05, Debby wrote:

> vserver I cannot start apache ;( - so I would like to

What's the actual message you are getting?

Is IP address/port conflict a possibility i.e. other process has already bound to the same IP address/port?

List all the listeners with the following command in the root server:

chcontext --ctx 1 netstat -lnp

If there is a process occupying the port that you need to resolve this conflict - possibly change apache config files and
restart it or disable it if you don't need it.

Most likely you either have apache running in the root server and bound to 0.0.0.0 ( wildcard including all addresses ).
That would prevent any other process from binding to the same port ( usually 80 ) on _any_ of the local IP addresses.

or

you could've created a new vserver by copying an existing one but forgot to change the IP address inside
/etc/vservers/vservername.conf

> set up a chart where one only has to look at to know what to do when
> wanting to do enable something inside a vserver:
> What needs to be enabled or be activated to run the following
> services inside a vserver?
> (1) apache / apache-ssl
> (2) mysql
> (3) ssh
> (4) sendmail / exim / ... (you name it)

The idea of a vserver is that you run your services inside it transparently, i.e.
no special configuration required inside each vserver.

However, some software packages ( e.g. bind ) by default ( and unneccessary imho ) require
some extra capabilities.
Any hardware-related services, e.g. kudzu, or services that require a bit more intimate connection with the kernel, e.g klogd
or pppd, should not be run inside vserver.
Other than that, it's quite plug-and-play.

hth
Ed

Generated on Fri 25 Apr 2003 - 06:37:56 BST by hypermail 2.1.3