From: Jelle Foks (jelle-nospam-spamtrap-youknowwhat_at_foks.8m.com)
Date: Tue 08 Apr 2003 - 04:59:32 BST

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 10:52, Christian wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:33:02 -0400
> Pablo Enrique Roman Asenjo <proman_at_sid.ing.uchile.cl> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a little question ....
> > In a openmosix cluster, can i migrate a vserver-process to another node,
> > but maintaining all the vserver context?
> >

> I once tried patching vserver and openmosix together with only trivial
> rejects.
> This still doesnt mean that context will migrate but makeing that work
> would be damn cool. As far i know noone works on that.
> So it won't work currently and needs some work done in the Mosix process
> migration code.

I looked into the same a couple of weeks ago, but I don't remember the
rejects being very trivial. Perhaps I was using a bad combination of
kernel+openmosix+ctx.

Anyways, as far as I know openmosix sends the system calls of a migrated
process across the network to the original box where the process was
started. hence, the userspace runs on the other CPU, but as soon as
there is a system interaction it goes back to the original box. That
would make it seem to me that the context stays the same after
migration. The mosix box that is migrated to may not even need the ctx
patch.

Jelle.

> Cheers Christian

Generated on Tue 22 Apr 2003 - 18:41:46 BST by hypermail 2.1.3