From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed 02 Apr 2003 - 23:59:33 BST

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:54:01 -0500, Lyashkov Alex wrote

> > Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
> > vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
> not full. in current vserver has many overhead in network part.
>
> if separate access to vservers via ip address on interfaces (small list/small
> linear array) we do't find it in large list (all sockets list).
> it's true and for other system lists.

This is true. But in practice, pretty hard to measure. It affects connection time.

In fact, many areas in the kernel are done with some expect usage. For example
UDP won't scale well if you are using many many UDP services. Most linux
box only have a few, so using a linear search for every UDP packet getting in
is acceptable. Now, if you have several vservers each one having several
UDP services, then the linear search may hit.

Have you withness/measure any slowdown, between a vserver running
on a quiet box and the same box without any vservers running ?