From: Eje Gustafsson (Macahan_at_fament.com)
Date: Fri 21 Mar 2003 - 18:10:38 GMT

Dear Jacques,

Friday, March 21, 2003, 11:07:15 AM, you wrote:

JG> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:42:00 -0500, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote
>> Dear Jacques, thank you for your reply,
>>
>> torsdag 20. mars 2003, 17:45, skrev Jacques Gelinas:
>> > Now, what is missing to get a very very reliable solution
>> >
>> > -Resource limitation. If a vserver has a problem, it must not
>> > bring the whole machine down.
>> >
>> > I have many of this stuff done (memory, file handle) but was
>> > waiting for the issue with ctx-16 to be resolved.
>> >
>> > -Disk quota
>> >
>> > All this stuff is kind of around the corner and we were stocked with the
>> > ctx-16 problem.
>>
>> Actually how far around the corner is it? (I know such things can be
>> hard to predict... :)
>>
>> Do you suggest that for a server in a "production environment" I'll
>> use ctx-13, or rather wait for the next patch with the additions
>> you mention above?

JG> Some people have been crashing on a regular basis with ctx-16. Also someone posted
JG> a script crashing a box in no time. So I guess ctx-16-1 will be proven real soon.
JG> wait a few days.

I be one of them. ctx-16-1 so far been good but only been running for
about 24 hours. I ran that script without problems with ctx16-1
however I never tried it on ctx16 so can't 100% verify that it is
infact fixed based on running this script. But Jonathan said this
script would crash.

I been running 1 copy of the script inside a virtual server, one
script is running on the virtual master and have a third script
running on a different system pulling a complete webpage from one of
my domains on a virtual server.

Actually I'm currently still running it but I pulled up the page more
then 15k, 5k, 3k on the different machines without any hickups as of
yet.

JG> I will rename ctx-16-1 as ctx-17 so we will have a stable kernel. ctx-16 is adding
JG> true BIND-any support compared to ctx-13. Better handling of UDP on loopback
JG> as well.

JG> Said differently, with ctx-16, there is less things to explain (less restrictions).

JG> Right after ctx-17, I will release ctx-18 with per vserver file handle limitation
JG> and per vserver memory limitation. The file handle stuff is done. The memory
JG> still has a bug.

Ahh can't wait for that especially the vserver memory limitation file
handle limitation is also nice but right now it seems memory
limitation is what I'm missing the most (besides a context based
quota which I not yet tested out the one that is available out there
the warnings almost scares me -lol-)

Best regards,
 Eje Gustafsson mailto:MacAhan_at_fament.com

---
The Family Entertainment Network      eFax  : 240-376-7272
Phone : 620-231-7777                  Fax   : 620-231-4066
Online Store http://www.fament.com/catalog/
          - Your Full Time Professionals -

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Generated on Fri 21 Mar 2003 - 18:26:42 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3