From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Sun 09 Mar 2003 - 09:43:15 GMT

Immutable Link Inversion is only really any good for sharing system files,
eg binaries, libraries and common files between contexts.

I assume, Jan-Marc, that you are thinking of using it more as a mechanism
for sharing data partitions between different vservers - for instance, to
share home directories across vservers like one would have done with
NFS+automounter+NIS (my `upbringing' to Unix network transparency).

I've briefly investigated the three network filesystems designed to replace
NFS - AFS, Coda and Intermezzo, and to me AFS looked to be the one most
tested and promising.

Did you try to get it running? Did you have any problems?

One thing that is almost guaranteed to work, if you don't mind all
AFS-enabled vservers on a system getting the same view of the AFS volume,
would be to bind-mount the AFS mount point /afs into each of the vserver's
space; ie

  mount --bind /afs /vservers/vs1/afs

or you could restrict their view to a particular cell within the AFS tree;
from the root server:

  mount --bind /afs/vs1_home /vservers/vs1/home

As for actually putting an AFS server or client into a vserver, that would
require testing to see whether the server can handle being `chbind'ed, the
client can function without privileged kernel access and/or the kernel
module doesn't make the assumption that one kernel space = one AFS tree.

If you've been using AFS for a while, I'd be very interested in hearing
your results - a distributed caching filesystem would certainly fill a gap
in my plans to take over the world with vservers :-)

--
Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net

Nature is complete because it does not serve itself. The sage places himself after and finds himself before, Ignores his desire and finds himself content. He is complete because he does not serve himself. - Tao Te Ching chapter 7

Generated on Sun 09 Mar 2003 - 10:06:48 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3