From: Warren Togami (warren_at_togami.com)
Date: Wed 26 Feb 2003 - 05:07:26 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>>ksymoops says that it is for kernel OOPSes, how can this decode the
>>panic message?
>

> the "panic message" actually is a kernel oops
> which includes the stack backtrace as hex values
>
> - if you are able to capture this message, by
> reading it on screen and writing it down, or by
> copy/paste from serial console, or by ocr from
> a screenshot ... you can later feed it through
> ksymoops, which, if provided the necessary data
> (on the actual system) will "translate" the hex
> values into more meaningful stuff like function
> symbols and offsets ...
>
> take a look at the recent kernel oops postings
> on this list (archive) and compare the message
> with and without ksymoops translation ...
>
> best,
> Herbert

I have been so far unable to reproduce the kernel panic after trying
very hard. =(

For now I'm running with a serial cable and active remote "screen"
session from another box in the server room. If the kernel panic
happens I will have the entire panic message for analysis.

Warren

Generated on Wed 26 Feb 2003 - 05:21:29 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3