From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Fri 14 Feb 2003 - 22:45:08 GMT

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:20:01 -0500, Mark Lawrence wrote
> > You are using ssh to check if the target dhost/vserver is running
> >
> > but you are using rsync over rsh to perform the copy. On most machine
> > rsh is not enabled/installed. So the copy failed without much explanation.
>
> Did you try the -v flag? I only have ssh installed - no rsh. I am guessing
> that perhaps rsync uses rsh by default, and checks for ssh only after the
> first method fails. I now force rsync to use ssh when doing a network
> copy, which you can change with the -R option.

I will test the new version

> The script will now either copy locally or to a remote host, with the
> option of rewriting the vserver.conf and /etc/hosts files with a new
> hostname and IP address.

Good. A man page with that :-) ?

> > vserver takes some time when in fact, potentially most of it is already
> > available. Using vfiles, you can get the list of all file different from
> > a reference vserver (potentially different) and copy just that. Then on
> > the target, you can re-unify.
>
> > The vcp script would accept a -r argument, which is the reference vserver.
> > The script would check that both the source and the target host have
> > such a vserver and would use vfile at one end and vunify at the other
>
> I like the idea, however vunify is very dependent upon the package
> manager, yes? Or at least rpm. Is there a way to make that distribution
> independent?

Yes and no. The v utilities rely on rpm for now, but we can handle other
packaging strategy as a back-end. I have this on my todo for some time.
So the idea would be to use vfiles and vunify blindly. Your script would not
have to deal with that stuff.

> I don't know exactly how vunify works, but if you want to do the hard work
> I'll integrate it with the rest of the options.

I will see what I can do.

Thanks. I updated the package with your last version.