From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 30 Jan 2003 - 18:06:00 GMT

http://www.13thfloor.at/VServer/

> creating logical volumes on a hardware RAID so I can easily control the disk
> space allocated to each VServer. Quota within the VServer environment will
> probably become a requirement in the future, so watch out Herbert ;) I might
> need more help yet...

I scheduled some extra training hours, just to be
prepared *G*

> This setup - Athlon 1800 XP, 512MB DDR 2100, Promise Fasttrak with 2 x 60 GB
> 7200rpm Seagate HDDs, striped, running on native Linux ATARAID driver, OS
> installed on dedicated HDD - is screaming fast running 20 VServers and has
> been stable through all the testing I have thrown at it. The server is not
> in production, but I'm talking to some UK ISPs who are interested in running
> some VServers in the near future.
>
> There are still some things I need to sort out, and it would be interesting
> to hear if anyone else is trying the same things.
>
> One major thing for me is to get LVM snapshots working properly with my EXT3
> L.V.'s so that backups can be run without downtime. The LVM module in the

good concept, I almost did it the same way, but LVM
gave me some troubles and I decided to take another
approach (about one year ago, read below ...)

> kernel is not that recent (v1.0.3), and it is possible to create, but not
> mount EXT3 snapshots because (as far as I can tell) this old version cannot
> handle the journal properly. This has been fixed in v1.0.5 but I also
> notice that there is a v2 available. Has anyone else already got EXT3
> snapshots working? Is it worth going to LVM2 or should I just stick with
> v1.0.5? Rather [OT] I know, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone
> else is doing backups this way.

I am doing simple dump/restore backups with a recent
linux dump (dump-0.4b25) which does zip/bzip block
compression on the fly, this works at an average
throughput of 2.5MB/s and is almost unnoticeable on
a dual CPU system ... (needless to say that it work
while the virtual server is active ;)

> I have also been stripping down Webmin to suit the VServer environment. It
> is difficult to get it perfect without reworking some of the modules (which
> I may attempt in time) but it does give a pretty good set of technical
> features... I have also had PleskSA running happily on a VServer, but
> didn't really like the interface that much. Is anyone else using/providing
> a control panel with their VServers? If so what are/were your experiences?
> Linuxconf?
>
> I have hacked the newvserver script to allow a VServer to be built to any
> specification. Basically, the script reads in a list of basesystem
> configurations from a local repository, and presents these in a menu. Next,
> the script reads in a list of plans from the local repository and presents
> these in a menu. A plan is just a file containing a list of templates, and
> a template is just a list of files (RPMs/TGZs) to be installed for a
> particular application (eg Apache) plus a post-install script.
>
> The system is nice because I can define plans containing any application
> stored in the repository, and then automate the whole build from newvserver.
>
> My most complex plan builds a
> Qmail/LDAP/Spamassassin/Antivirus/Courier/Squirrelmail VServer with a nifty
> LDAP directory front-end called GOsa (http://www.gonicus.de/eng/index.html).
> I'll try to get it in a 'releaseable' state if anyone else is interested in
> it.

sure we are ....

> Ciaw for now...
>
> Mark.

Generated on Thu 30 Jan 2003 - 18:32:57 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3