From: ragnar_at_this.is
Date: Sun 05 Jan 2003 - 00:34:34 GMT

Hi,

Only interesting if you are playing with vserver on debian.

Does it make sense to start a group (of list)
to help Ola to produce an easy to install
and potentially stable version?

-------------
What's up with different versions for debian ??
------------------

I am trying the install from Paul Sladen

The one by Ola Lundqvist depends on the ustable
libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1), what is the point of that?
I would be happy to try it but do prefer to
use woddy on both root and virtual servers.
vserver enter - works on Paul's version.

So back to Paul's method.

1. his kernel at
http://www.paul.sladen.org/debian/vserver.sladen/
did not work on my old Pentium 200 server.
so I am testing with my simple version at
http://this.is/debian-vserver/

If something does not work for me then that
could be the reason.

Installed on a woody box:
http://www.paul.sladen.org/ \
debian/vserver.sladen/vserver_0.21-1_i386.deb

Look cool, still playing with it so not
so many comments on how it works.

2. Regarding his comments in
http://www.paul.sladen.org/debian/vserver.sladen/READ-THIS

> This was up-to-date (until Jack released 0.22 today...)

I would like to start using vserver for my customers
so being stable is more important than being up to date.

> This is not FHS ``compliant'' (sticks with /vservers/).

In some other test install there was a /etc/vserver.conf
with a VSERVER_ROOT variable, tools could read that
or a "per server" path to root.

> You require enough clue to deal with bind(0.0.0.0) yourself.

Paul I do not agree with your "talking down to idiots"
way of saying things. Someone new to vserver will not
know that this problem exists (idiot or not).

> I couldn't find my rebootmgr fixes.

Would be nice to get.

> Remember to do `chmod 000 /vservers/' afterwards.

could / should the install or newvserver script do that?

> Do `update-rc.d vservers update.

Do not understand this
and was unsuccessful in doing without understanding

> wouldn't pass the debian-linter with a barge-pole,

Have you tried to make horde/IMP talk to postgresql :-?

-----------------------------------

Other questions ... in the context of Debian

What is the status of things like unify for
different file systems?

What I am most interested in is to have vserver
memory use limitation and CPU niceness.

What about LVM?

I did intend to make a FAQ but as I do not konw
enough it is only a report of my install attempts.

Best
Ragnar
ragnar_at_this.is

ps. ------------------------
and now some things I should not be saying until
after trying the vserver-0.21-1.deb in testing
----------------------------

On install of vserver.deb
------------
Semi forced removal of most services on the root
server when installing the original vserver.deb
Asking for permission to disable inetd and demon
services and offering to bind others to a fixed
address (SSH). Vserver could conflict with bind
and a version compiled with -disable-linux-caps
made available / standard.

Finding "new server" defaults from the root server
potentially using debconf.

On running newvserver
Offer to import package selection, exported with a
standard debian tool.

An option to drop into dselect before installing

Confirm server defaults and only be asked to change
important things - to prevent mistakes.

Generated on Wed 15 Jan 2003 - 17:17:03 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3