From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 07 Dec 2002 - 16:00:55 GMT

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:23:17PM +0100, Lars Braeuer wrote:

> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:19:32PM +0100, Lars Braeuer wrote:
> >
> >>does anyone have a brief explanation of how rpm is working when giving
> >>it a list of rpms (like in the vserver redhat minimum installation
> >>script). I'm currently adapting the redhat installation script to work
> >>with suse (7.3/8.0), it almost works but there's still a problem that
> >>drives me crazy. I'm not used to rpm, I usually compile all my
> >>applications by hand, but for an automated vserver creation rpm is much
> >>easier. ;)
> >>
> >>I checked the rpm manpages several times and the only thing I found, is
> >>that rpm tries to sort the packages, so that all dependencies are
> >>fullfilled.
> >>
> >>when running the install script with a minium rpm list, it almost
> >>installs all packages. but one of the most important packages (aaa_base)
> >>containing a basic passwd and group file, is not installed. I kind of
> >>found a workaround by copying the passwd and group file from the
> >>installation cd, but there are more files in the aaa_base rpm that are
> >>needed.
> >

> >the aaa_base or similar "base" packages on rpm based
> >distributions are usually some kind of "fake" package
> >which gets installed after the "base" installation
> >required to get rpm, etc working. so these packages
> >usually list a number of files, but do not contain
> >any of those files (they usually can be found on the
> >first installation CD in a directory named "*base*" ...
> >the installation scripts simply copy the files to the
> >destination directory/medium and then install the
> >selected packages including the fake aaa_base package.
>

> Installing the aaa_base package right after all the other packages are
> installed works fine. But the rpms initially installed seem to require
> those files included there.

I did not check the suse base packages, they seem to
include several files (which will be necessary), but
maybe there is another package representing the mentioned
pre-installed files, but I can give you an example for
mandrake ...

# rpm -ql basesystem-8.2-1mdk
(contains no files)

# rpm -q --provides basesystem-8.2-1mdk
basesystem = 8.2-1mdk

> So do you mean that it's the right approach to copy a set of base files
> (passwd/group/shadow) from the installation cd before running the base
> installation, so that everyhting is there for a "base" installation? and
> afterwards just install the aaa_base package?

yes, I think so, but maybe you should take a look
at the installation scripts, on the SuSE CD ...

> If the aaa_base rpm is just a fake, I wonder why the description says
> "This package installs several important configuration files. "

I guess, regarding SuSE I might be wrong there ...

> On a redhat vserver installation, which rpm is responsible for the
> passwd and group files?

if you have all RPMs of any rpm based distribution, you
can easily create a list of files/provides included.

# rpm -ql -p <package-file-path>

will list all files in a package (or in the given packages)

# rpm -q --provides -p <package-file-path>

will list the provided symbols/versions ...

so if you make a loop over all packages, writing
the package name and then listing the files/provides
you'll be able to locate packages for files easily.

(some distributions provide tools to scan/list the
uninstalled packages)

> thanks for your help.
>
> lars

Generated on Fri 13 Dec 2002 - 03:49:14 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3