From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Tue 26 Nov 2002 - 11:02:46 GMT

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Dimitri Roschkowski wrote:
> > Presumable the vserver is starting quite happily anyway?
>
> I created a virtual interface eth0:1 with the other IP adress of the
> Hostmachine end entered it in the IPROOT field of the config file,

`vserver' automatically creates/removes the IP aliases for you. Just put
them in the config file (IPROOT="eth0:1.2.3.4")

> but the main server grabs the vserver IP.

The problem comes if you bind to `0.0.0.0' in the *host* server without
using a `v_apache' script. This then snatches all the addresses on the
server (including all vserver addresses), even if the vservers haven't been
started yet.

The best way is not to run much (or anything) in the host server--except
SSH--and to make sure you either use a `v_ssh' script, or manually set SSHd
to bind to one IP address in the host server (including chbind'ing or
remembering to disable `inetd').

If you are *just* running the SSH daemon, my preferred option is to put the

  ListenAddress 1.2.3.4 # Host Server

directive in the `/etc/ssh/sshd_config' file). This will get rid of alot of
your `problems' and allow you to find out what is happening more clearly.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB