From: Lars Braeuer (lbraeuer_at_mpex.net)
Date: Thu 14 Nov 2002 - 18:30:03 GMT

this is not direclty a vserver related "problem/question" but it's
linux related,
so I'm sending the question to this list. please don't blame me for
this. ;)

when adding an IP address using ifconfig, why is ifconfig adding a
route to the kernel routing table?
in most cases this is useful, but in some cases it isn't.

I heared from someone else (the programer of heartbeat), that this
doesn't happen on his suse 7.3/8.0 boxes.

is anyone else of you experiencing the same.

does anyone happen to know if this a kernel related problem?

I tested it on more than 5 linux servers (suse 7.3, suse 8.0), and
it's the same on all of them.
the kernel is self compiled, as well as the net-tools package
(ifconfig, route etc.).

# ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

# route -n
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth0

# ip route
10.0.0.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 10.0.0.1

lars

Generated on Thu 14 Nov 2002 - 19:20:15 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3