From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon 04 Nov 2002 - 11:37:48 GMT

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 mark.lawrence_at_holcim.com wrote:

> I think that I may have discovered a bug relating to udp and use of the
> 127.0.0.1/localhost address. [...] Can I ask if someone else can
> duplicate this behaviour with bind?

Yes. It's there, it's a bug. When I first discovered it I simply `kludged'
around it by changing `resolv.conf' to list the public IP of the vserver
because I couldn't be bothered to track it down at the time.

> It seems to me that dst should properly be assigned to the ipv4root but it
> doesn't feel like that to me at the moment.

A solution is probably to invert the algorithm when connecting
localhost->localhost so that the destination is overridden, rather than the
source address. This will also keep various daemons happen since the
connection is *coming* from localhost.

> Also, I have an issue with running ntp in a virtual server as a time
> server to other clients (but not as a normal time client) which I think
> is also related to this issue.

Setting the system clock is a hardware issue, so run it in your host-server.
Remember you can bind it to `0.0.0.0' on the host-server and it will appear
to be running on port 123 on all the vservers.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB