From: John P. Eisenmenger (jpe_at_eisenmenger.org)
Date: Sat 02 Nov 2002 - 15:48:06 GMT

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Lars Braeuer wrote:

> Klavs Klavsen wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 12:09, Lars Braeuer wrote:
> >
> > >isn't this the same problem we've had a few weeks ago, where the
> > >startscripts
> > >from /etc/rc.d/ wouldn't be started using SuSE ?
> > >this problem was related to the not very well written /etc/rc.d/rc
> > >script of
> > >suse and it worked after taking the redhat or debian /etc/rc.d/rc
> > script.
> >
> > Not really. the reason it fails on gentoo is that it's rc script resides
> > under /sbin/rc. In another mail I've proposed (suggested by John P.
> > Eisenmenger) exchanging STARTCMD (the one that runs /etc/rc.d/rc) and
> > other relevant values (for starting and stopping) with values imported
> > from the vserver.conf file.
> >
> > that way one can set which scripts to run at start/stop of the vserver.
>

> well, why don't you just symlink /sbin/rc to /etc/rc.d/rc ?
> if it doesn't exist, it shouldn't be a problem !?

1) Because it won't work - Gentoo's rc expects symbolic names as opposed
   to numbers (i.e. "/sbin/rc default" and not "/sbin/rc 3").

2) Because we should not have to make every distribution look like a
   Redhat system in order for it to start properly.

3) Because the "root" user of a vserver may not be us. In that case we
   don't want them removing said symlink because it isn't needed on a real
   Gentoo system, thus breaking automatedstartup.

4) Because it'd be a lot easier to say "To start a Gentoo Linux system add
   the following lines to your vserver.conf file" as opposed to "you need
   to hack the vserver script" or "do all the following so its startup
   scripts work like Redhat".

Also, just to clarify something, I wouldn't totally replace STARTCMD and
STOPCMD with values read from vservers.conf, but simply allow one to
override STARTCMD and STOPCMD by setting values in the vservers.conf.
There's no need to break the functionality that currently exists in the
vserver script, and doing so would cause problems with virtually all
current vserver users.

-John

--
John P. Eisenmenger