From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 02 Nov 2002 - 00:00:59 GMT

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 10:17:03AM -0700, Mefford, Aaron wrote:
> There was nothing that this page clarified for me. I do already understand
> quotas in general and have used them for some time, albeit not on linux, but
> rather on EMC, NetApp, Sun Solaris and BSD systems. I do not recall any one
> of those systems requiring you to have disk space available equal to the sum
> of all quotas.
>
> I am looking at the Vservers project as a possible solution for offering
> hosted virtual private servers. As part of my requirements, I have some
> specific requirements with regards to disk space management. First I need a
> way to guarantee that no Vserver uses more space than they have purchased,
> without dedicating the same amount of disk to that vserver. Second I need
> the ability to offer this same functionality to the vserver with regards to
> its users, while in some cases requiring that they dedicate space for there
> users and in other cases allowing them to allocate more quota then they have
> purchased from me while still requiring that the vserver as a whole never
> exhausts the space it has purchased from me.
>
> Soft/Hard quotas do not solve this as I understand it, and the link offered
> no additional information in that regard.

soft and hard quota will exactly do what you want, if
and only if, they are for user/group and context,
which was the reason for my development (context quota)

> My understanding is that with vservers as it stands today I can enforce a
> global per user quota, however if I allow the owners of a vserver to create
> additional users, they can then create additional users and get an
> additional grant of space with each additional user they create exceeding
> the desired maximum for that vserver with no way to enforce a maximum disk
> usage, short of using a file based file system or LVM which violates my
> first need of not dedicating the space.

nope, context quota is like user quota, but for the
entire context (all users/groups) so a hard limit of 200M
would mean, that no user within the specified context
(not even the root user) whould be able to write a file
if the context sum reaches 200M

> If I have misunderstood you capabilities please clarify. If this is not
> possible or undesireable for this vserver group then I will simply look
> elsewhere. Anyhow it looks like you have an excellent start on a good
> project.

hope this clarifies it, but I might be wrong, because
I thought it would be simple and well understood in
the first place ...

maybe take a look at http://www.13thfloor.at/VServer/

> Cheers,
> Aaron

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3