From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Thu 31 Oct 2002 - 03:55:35 GMT

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:44:02 -0500, Justin M Kuntz wrote

> Linux version 2.4.19ctx-13 (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3
> 2.96-110)) #4 SMP Thu Oct 17 04:45:31 GMT 2002
>
> Hello,
>
> In regard to the above vserver setup, I've noticed a bug with Red Hat 7.3
> Minimal installation using the newvserver script. On several different
> systems this consistently fails to enable "syslog" even when selected
> during the install (I don't check the sshd box but I do check the syslog
> one).

Il will investigate this bug.

> The result of this is interesting. Even after issuing a "vserver <x>
> start" command, vserver-stat will not immediately report the vserver as
> running. I then enter the vserver, do a "chkconfig syslog on". Upon
> restarting the vserver, it is instantly listed in the vserver-stat.

vserver-stat reports about running vserver. I suspect you have no other
service running so there are simply no process currently running in the
vserver. Once you have start syslog, you end up with one.

Try to create the vserver and enable crond as well.

> So syslog being enabled has some correlation to whether vserver-stat
> functions immediately after the vserver is started.

In fact, before starting syslog, do

        ps ax

in the vserver, you will see the init process and your shell and ps. Again
I will investigate why this is not working from the rh7.3 CD.