From: Mefford, Aaron (amefford_at_about-inc.com)
Date: Wed 30 Oct 2002 - 21:52:14 GMT

I realize that I am new to the list and do not have much history, but I am
considering the possibility of using vserver on a fairly large project and
as such would like to at least take a moment to offer my opinion on a couple
of items.

First, I almost walked away from using the vserver option until after
joining the list I saw that the quota issue was being actively addressed.
Of the todo's left, quota was the biggest gap for my application. It would
be excellent to see the others addressed but without quota it would not be
an option.

As to the specific post, I am not sure that the hard line of not overbooking
is a good idea. While for many applications it would be a correct solution
there are some where it will not. Every ISP over allocates their available
resources. People do not care to pay for dedicated resources.
Additionally, with most services now being offered via resellers, it seems
unreasonable to not allow the reseller the same option. For instance, if I
sell virtual private servers, and joe buys a VPS with the intention of
selling individual web sites run within the VPS, I may or may not want to
allow Joe to oversubscribe his disk space, possibly even on a per VPS basis.

I realize that implementing a solution that would support a hybrid approach
raises the complexity, but I wanted to state that there is value and need
for such an approach.

Aaron