From: Klavs Klavsen (klavs_at_EnableIT.dk)
Date: Wed 23 Oct 2002 - 18:19:52 BST

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 16:14, Georges Toth wrote:
> > I tried using newvserver - installing from rh73m - but it failed
> > miserably - a lot of garbage output, and it created the directory, the
> > /dev and the conf-files - but installed no packages. although I have rpm
> > installed on the gentoo system.
>
> uhm, i've never used newserver command ;-).
> i always create my vservers manually (check the documentation for
> instructions)

hehe. okay.

> > How did you go about getting a vserver created? I need i586 packages for
> > my C3 system, otherwise I would gladly accept yours :-)
>
> see above..
> i thought the C3 was i686 ???

Nope. if you check freehackers.org - I've stolen the optimal compile
settings from there. I've also tried i686 - no go :-( Anyways it seems
to run quite fast - ofcourse my server was a PII-233mhz so compared to
that, it should be fast :-) If you want some time <command> test - come
right out with it :-)

> > I have copied a Redhat 7.2 install (vserver) from an old RH73 server,
> > but for some reason it says illegal instruction, when I try to enter the
> > server directory with chroot. I have another thread running on this
> > though, but do tell if you have any ideas as what could be the reason.
> > What's different when chroot'ing from a Gentoo-1.4rc1 into a RedHat 73?
>
> i don't know if you can have a different distro in the vserver as on the host
> ?
No problem. I now have a running RH73 vserver on my Gentoo server ;-)

I'm not going to duplicate you and Cedric's work on how to create a
Gentoo vserver.

In this regard, I would be really happy if you would share your
experiences with this on the list. And I can understand Cedric
changed/updated the vserver utilities - how is that coming? ready to
inclusion into the vserver rpm/src ? Need any help - I'll be willing to
try'em out on my box if you want to.

> > I have a RedHat 7.3 system installed on another partition, and I have no
> > problems chroot'ing into that. it works like a charm, so I don't know
> > what could be wrong.
>
> it might be that you want to use a rh vserver on a gentoo host ?

nope. :-) but no matter. I'm just going to duplicate the install I have
now. (I hope I don't find any faults.. it starts services and all, so I
see no problems).

> > > on gentoo everything works fine now (except a php library ->
> > > xmlrpc-epi, which > apparently isn't possible to compile with a gcc3.2
> > > compiler)
> >
> > I haven't found that php-library in the ebuild collection. Is there an
> > ebuild for it?
>
> no, there isn't.
> you can find it at: http://xmlrpc-epi.sourceforge.net/

I'll give it a try, just to see..

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------ Klavs Klavsen - Open Source Consultant klavs_at_EnableIT.dk - http://www.EnableIT.dk

Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA Fingerprint = 2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62 ---------------------[ I think that... ]----------------------- Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent. Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child who is carrying a .38. -- Unknown

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3