From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed 16 Oct 2002 - 05:24:56 BST

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:13:43 -0500, Dave wrote
> I'm wondering if anyone has considered the kickstart installation method
> to create vservers. Is there any chance to make it work?

I don't think it is very useful. The purpose of kickstart is to create precise
setup. In general, with a vserver, you install a reference vserver with
most of the stuff you need and you clone this one with unification, so each
new vserver cost 20-40 megabytes. So you won't use your kickstart that often.

Further, once you have a trimmed reference vserver with the default
setting you need for your organisation (proper resolv.conf for example), you will
simply clone the whole thing by moving that from server to server.

Now, if you look at the /usr/lib/vserver/install-rhx.y scripts, you will see that you
can create your own kickstart very easily. kickstart has to deal will all kind of
stuff from disk partitioning, hardware detection and so on. All this is not
needed when installing a vserver. You only need the proper package selection.