From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Mon 14 Oct 2002 - 15:32:48 BST

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 02:45:26 -0500, Cedric Veilleux wrote
> Hi,
>
> I know some work is being done to port utilities to debian. I am working on
> porting to Gentoo linux.
>
> The vunify, vfiles and vbuild utilities would have to, somehow, determine
> which kind of vservers they are dealing with. This also applies to vrpm,
> although this one would ideally have to be renamed to avoid confusion. There
> are several solutions:
>
> 1- Additional --pkgtype option. Values would be rpm, deb or gentoo. Defaults
> to rpm.
>
> 2- New configuration option. For each vserver, a DISTRIBUTION variable could
> be added to the config file of each vserver.
>
> 3- Guessing. The utilities could look at the files inside the vserver and
> guess the distro used.

Yes that would do.

I would go for guessing + some command line option to override the guess for
such strange vservers. And finally, a config option in the vserver configuration file.

For most user, guessing will work fine. Some very special case will require overrides.
No need to default to rpm. Distro are easily differentiated.