From: Cathy Sarisky (cathy_at_acornhosting.net)
Date: Wed 09 Oct 2002 - 23:43:13 BST

I'm spawning ~200MB vservers, POST unification. Of course, that includes (ununified) source code and compiled executables for PostgreSQL and AOLserver, in addition to all the usual stuff you might want on a server.

I'd vote for building from the base server the FIRST time, doing a serious weeding job, and then using vbuild to build future servers off that one. Or at least, that's how I do it.

RPMs that can DEFINITELY go:

iptables/chains/etc
anything firewall related (requires iptables/chains/etc)
kudzu <-- evil. May hang during vserver start if the vserver user turns it on with chkconfig.
Anything related to the sound card (duh.)
Anything related to burning CDs (duh. But I got both on my last dedicated server installed by the server provided, so watch for it.)
almost anything involving networking or the kernel.

I prefer to trim down than build up, since there's always something I want that I'll miss if I try to build up.